Sunday 16 January 2011

Feathered Frenzy

Well we've had an interesting week from the chicken point of view thAt I thought I would share with you all....sorry!

Having opened the shed to a bloodbath last week I decided to move the loudest cockerel on to death row.
Meanwhile the enormous yellow crowing "hen" started jumping every hen in sight. Not funny to carry that weight on yr back if yr just a little hen. Chuck, the white one, seemed to be the most frequent, resigned, recipient of all three cocks amours. Bit weird as she was the one that hatched them out.....eugh. Jeremy (named and owned by niece who was 2 at the time) however, was having none of it. Obviously giving her a boys name has encouraged her to think like a boy and I pity any cockerel that tries to take her on.....or should I say tries it on with her. The cockerel on death row was getting noisier by the minute....clearly thinking there is some kind of appeal system. So I put Chuck in with him for a bit of company and to give her a break from enormous yellow crowing "hen".

So on thursday I'm sitting in the cinema with bf ( yes...in the middle of the day!) when I get a phone call from our neighbor. The bull mastiff lodging at number six has escaped and is prowling the chicken run. To cut a long story short the big yellow crowing hen is no more. I came home to find it left for me at the back door....by a human not the dog! So Thursday evening was spent with laptop, gloves and filleting knife and now we have a plucked and gutted chicken in the fridge for lunch tomorrow. However death row cockerel has to be finished off too this weekend so think I might take Bruce (said bull mastiff) for a walk through the run again!

No comments:

Post a Comment