Tuesday 1 February 2011

Hard-boiled eggs

Sadly the thermostat went on the borrowed incubator I was using for the 12 eggs I had gathered from our hens. This meant the light stayed on permanently and it got a little over heated not to mention smelly, in there. Needless to say no survivors. On closer inspection half of them were in fact fertile so the roosters clearly weren't quite as inadequate as I thought. Oh well. I plan to set another 6 or 7 to start tomorrow.

Added to this loss when I opened up the shed this morning the only hen (lavender araucana) from the 6 that hatched in July had died :( No idea how but I've had enough of post mortems this week so she went straight in the wheelie bin. Our bin men must love me!

Lamb update: No more new arrivals. Lottie (the one with mastitis) is surviving thanks to im penicillin, although had to rugby tackle her to catch her on Saturday. She sees us coming with the syringe now. Maybe sheep are not as thick as we think. This still leaves my neighbour with the dilemma. Proper farming advice is to cull her as she will never be able to feed lambs again. The jury is still out on that one. One of her lambs is a bit poorly with joint ill (google it!) so is also on penicillin and fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment